Monday, March 23, 2009

New bag for spring

A few weeks ago, I started seeing these really cute bags made from dishtowels popping up everywhere on people's blogs. The inspiration behind these bags is the Orla Kiely line at Target. I loved the pear pattern, so I picked up a set of towels and decided to try my hand at it. (As an aside, I normally don't make bags. Just isn't my thing, you know? But I was inspired, and couldn't resist). I used a tutorial* I had bookmarked months ago from Little Birdie Secrets, and here is my end result:





I used the second, solid colored dishtowel to make an inner three section pocket. I tried to take a decent picture, but it didn't work too well:


For more ideas and tutorials using these adorable dishtowels, check out Homemade by Jill's spring tote tutorial and Film in My Fridge's
beach bag tutorial.

*I did alter the tutorial some to accommodate the dishtowel pattern--I didn't want upside down pears on one side of my bag, so I cut the towel in half and then stitched it back together across the bottom so the pattern would be 'facing up' on both sides. I also added an inner pocket:-)

3 comments:

  1. Love the bag! I saw the same tutorial and thought of making one too.

    Thanks for checking in on my blog. I recently started reading both of yours. It's fun to keep up with you and get sewing ideas.

    PS You are right.. I did win some fabric. The hard part is picking just one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I am not much for bags either, but i have been seeing so mcuh tuttes lately I think I made need to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I wish I had my sewing machine (and that I could thread it- it is from the 70s) so I could try my hand at one too. Let me know if you ever decide to make and sell purses because I just might be interested in buying one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I always enjoy hearing from those who read this blog.