Monday, May 4, 2009

Creamy Chicken Salad

Just as an aside--I hate condiments. I don't like mayonnaise, mustard or ketchup. I eat my sandwiches and my burgers plain. I don't dip my french fries in ketchup, and only in the past few years have 'grown up' enough to eat salad dressing on salads. Since chicken salad is commonly made with mayonnaise, I did not eat chicken salad. Then I found this recipe, and I have a chicken salad that I will eat! These measurements are approximate, so please adjust it to your personal taste:-)

Creamy Chicken Salad
1 1/2-2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 small can diced green chiles
1-2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt (may add more to taste)

Combine all ingredients until well blended. Taste to see if more chili powder or salt is needed. A dash of red or black pepper would be a nice addition. If chicken salad is too dry, add a splash of milk or cream to the mixture. Serve on bed of salad greens, or on croissants as a sandwich. This chicken salad is very savory and is a nice alternative to the fruity chicken salads that are popular. Let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. sounds yummy; emailed it to myself so I can try it soon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good! I can't wait to try it

    Shawna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took your idea of cream cheese in place of mayonnaise and made my own chicken salad Friday. I used lemon-pepper deli chicken, chopped green onions, pecans, and shredded carrots, along with the 1/3 less fat cream cheese. It was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Leah! I'm not a condiments girl either, and I can't wait to try this! AND I wish I knew about your little slings before Rylie was born. I'll keep them in mind for the next little Goodwin (whenever he or she may come along...hopefully sooner rather than later!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I always enjoy hearing from those who read this blog.